While the audio, video and single image widget section was already merged into Core with 4.8 – The Gallery widget is slated to be merged into core for the 4.9 release.
If you test it, please report any issues on GitHub
Sarah Gooding tested things and posted an article on WPTavern
We did our own test on this site. I really like it:-) It also shows, that you need to be consistent when uploading images to your library. The Widget displays the caption section for the image underneath the image, and it looks much nicer if you fill out the caption field for all images to be displayed in the Widget.
How to use the Gallery Widget?
- Got to Appearance > Widget
- Click on Galllery widget and select the widget section
- Give the widget a Title
- Click on “Add Media” to select the respective images from the Media Library
- Make adjustments to other settings, like column number and type of display
- Click on “Insert Gallery” button
- Preview in Gallery Widget admin screen
- Click on Save
Note: You might see in the video that the desired number of columns is set to 2, however, the display in the widget admin screen shows 3 columns. That is a known issue and already in the issue tracker as #190